Middle School Latest News
I hope all is well and that everyone is safe. Our new normal is starting to set in. I hope everyone is keeping good mental health during this time. Here are a few ideas that may assist you during this time:
- Create Structure – Make a plan for your day and stick to it. Make it consistent.
- Do more than play video games, watching television, or stare at your phone all day. Go for a walk. Get outside, but stay away from others. Keep your social distancing.
- Have a healthy sleep schedule. Get the recommended 8 hours of sleep each night. Go to bed at a decent hour and wake up at a decent time.
- Watch your personal hygiene. Brush your teeth twice a day. Wear deodorant and reapply. Bathe! Wash your hands frequently. Then wash them again.
- Keep your social distance as the CDC recommends.
- Talk to people outside of who you live with. Call/Facetime other family, friends, etc.
- Do something for your mind throughout the day. Read a book, work on the material provided by the school, or find some other way of increasing your knowledge. Do not let your mind go to waste.
- Practice! Find a time during the day to play your instrument. You may have to work around the schedule of those living at home with who may be working or sleeping at odd hours due to work. A sibling sleeping at odd hours because they stayed up late watching Frozen 2 on Disney+ or playing Animal Crossing is not an excuse not to practice. Parents, please encourage your children to practice during this time.
I will periodically be updating this webpage to include resources and links that may assist you with practicing or learning more musically. If you have questions or need help, please email me at email@example.com
Information has previously been sent as to how to sign up for SightreadingFactory and a free SmartMusic account. If you need that information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
8th Grade HS Band Information – 2020-2021 Band Handbook
Current 8th Grade band members have received the HS band handbook and information on signing up for high school band. Please read the handbook. Here is some important information that is covered in the handbook:
- The medical release form and registration sheet needs to filled out and emailed to Mr. Findley as soon as possible – email@example.com
- The band fee deposit is due to the band P.O. Box by May 22nd (the last day of school)
- A sports physical is due to Mr. Findley on the first day of band camp
- Band camp is required for participation; July 13-31 excluding weekends. More information is provided in the handbook
- Take note of the performance schedule.
- 8th Grade STUDENTS – Please email Mr. Findley so that he has your email address. This is how he will distribute high school band music.
6th Grade Literature Recordings – – Feel free to play along:
Jurassic Park – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIehfRRHbDU
Rock Attack – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSv1CNKIVg8
25 or 6 to 4 – https://www.jwpepper.com/25-or-Six-to-Four/10279780.item#/ – Click the Sound Icon
7th Grade Literature Recordings – – Feel free to play along:
Thrill Ride – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HetNqro5huU&t=16s
Friend Like Me – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8e1uVwiqE8 – Does not contain adjusted rhythms
Shining Moments – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9um1ork_AY
Pirates of the Caribbean – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uos1uHaw1Z8
8th Grade Literature Recordings – Feel free to play along:
Byzantine Dances – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g2JzD536h4
Star Wars – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoexv2LE-Zo – Does not contain the faster tempos
Thriller – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeBalVmZ_xk – Does not contain adjusted rhythms
YMCA – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IrY7Jld4-Q&t=33s – Is a recording of a school band. No studio recording exists.
Additional Music Resources
This is password protected. The password was sent out over remind. If you need the password, email Mr. Mayo at firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are websites, apps, and a chart to help with ear development.
Music Theory Interval Training – http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
Good Ear – http://www.good-ear.com/
Ear Beater – http://www.earbeater.com/online-ear-training
Musical Mind – http://www.musicalmind.org/
Apps: Relative Pitch Interval Ear Trainer, Tenuto, InTune, TuneUp, A.P.S. Tuning Trainer
Flute – http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/resources/media/caretips_piccolos_&_flutes.pdf
Oboe and Bassoon – http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/resources/media/caretips_oboe_bassoon.pdf
Clarinet – http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/resources/media/caretips_clarinet.pdf
Saxophone – http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/resources/media/caretips_saxophones.pdf
Piston Valved Brass –http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/resources/media/caretips_piston_instruments.pdf
Horn – http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/resources/media/caretips_french_horn.pdf
Trombone – http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/resources/media/caretips_trombone.pdf
Percussion – Vic Firth – http://www.vicfirth.com/education/
Percussion – Pearl Education – http://pearldrum.com/media/education/
Music Theory Practice – http://www.musictheory.net/
Metronome – http://www.webmetronome.com
U.S. Army Masterclasses – https://www.bands.army.mil/education/
- 6th Grade – Text @mayo26 to 81010
- 7th Grade – Text @mayo25 to 81010
- 8th Grade – Text @mayo24 to 81010